WE'VE MOVED!

WAIT, NO. HIDE SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Starting February 2014 this blog will be out of action.

But DO NOT DESPAIR. We've just moved, and you can still find the same riveting and informative posts that you have come to expect on our new blog:

Tuesday, February 07, 2012

A Rather Sinister Individual




I am currently in the middle of a brawl with a troop of apes disguised as TSA agents at the airport. They are after my beard.
So today's post is going to be a quickie...

The above is a tiny 4"x4"oil painting on linen I finished recently WHICH DIDN'T KILL ME.  
This is exciting because many of my previous adventures in oil have ended badly. I would paint, my body would have some terrible reaction to the materials, I would grow fangs, claws and unsightly hair, and then try to eat my neighbors.  

After the restraining order I did a lot of research into studio safety. From this I found a number of solutions THAT ACTUALLY WORKED and allowed me to finish a painting in oil without any of the usual side effects. So next week, after I have escaped the clutches of these baboons with all their wands and plastic gloves, I plan to share this with everyone. 

5 comments:

  1. he does look very sinister...maybe I should have read this post in the morning hours. :P

    Apes disguised as TSA agents are particular nuisances. Almost as bad as unicorns in high heels. But then again, it's the airport. All types and so forth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... this is beautiful! I love how Baroque this painting feels with deep high contrast color and almost stage lighting.
    excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justin, I use baby oil only to clean up my brushes and never turps or any other chemicals. My brushes last a lot longer and keep their shape better as well. I do like your painting very much. My son works for TSA and he says he doesnt like patting down or wanding or seeing your image but it is part of the safety needed in these trying times. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a really nice painting! I'm looking forward to seeing what else you do in oil.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice chiaroscuro, very Rembrandtesque. Glad to hear you're able to work with oils again, I love your traditional stuff.

    ReplyDelete